MIDDLETOWN – Seedings for the 2014 State Open track and field championships on Monday at Middletown High School have been released. Several athletes from Canton, Avon and the Farmington Valley have qualified to participate.
From Canton, senior Keith Wilson qualified to participate in both hurdle events and in the 4×400 relay with his Warrior teammates. Wilson, who set a new record while winning the Class S championship, is seeded third in the 300 hurdles with a school record time of 39.00 seconds.
Farmington’s Dan Hardiman (discus) and Devon Michaelis (javelin) are the top seeds in their respective events.
Other Canton qualifiers include Nico Tuccilo (400), Colin Martin (400), Dean Yost (1,600), Devin Glasson (shot), John Graziano (discus) and Cam Daley (javelin).
Jake Sartain (triple jump) and Justin Reichler (long jump) have qualified from Avon. A year ago, Sartain became the first Avon boy to win a medal at the State Open since 2001 when he finished eighth in the triple jump. Sartain is seeded 18th this year.
Among qualifiers from other Farmington Valley schools, Farmington’s Matt Chisholm is seeded second in the 1,600 meters while Simsbury’s Greg Bombara is the third seed in the javelin. Farmington’s Dan Hardiman is the top seed in the discus and the No. 2 seed in the shot put.
On the girls side, Avon has three individual athletes and one relay that qualified to participate. Junior Maddi McHugh is the fifth seed in the 800 meters. Teammates Molly Hamel (3,200) and Kaely Quijano (pole vault) also qualified.
The Canton girls have athletes in the State Open for the first time ever. Lucy Tanner qualified in both hurdles events while Eliza Chekas qualified in the 3,200 meters. Canton’s 4×100 and 4×800 relays also qualified to run.
Among Farmington Valley schools, Simsbury’s Sarah Mattison is a top five seed in two events. She is seeded second in the 3,200 meters and fourth in the 1,600 meters. Farmington’s Devon Michaelis is the top seed in the javelin.
The meet is usually held at New Britain’s Willow Brook Park but the city of New Britain is resurfacing the track and laying down a new artificial grass field.
Top 10 seeds in Monday’s State Open track and field championships from the Farmington Valley along with Canton and Avon competitors.
8. William Rice, Simsbury, 22.78
5. William Rice, Simsbury, 49.71
19. Nico Tuccilo, Canton, 51.88
21. Colin Martin, Canton, 52.03
2. Matt Chisholm, Farmington, 4:15.66
22. Dean Yost, Canton, 4:34.37
12. Keith Wilson, Canton, 15.54
3. Keith Wilson, Canton, 39.00
6. Canton (Cam Daley, Colin Martin, Nico Tuccillo, Keith Wilson) 3:24.06
9. Farmington (Matt Chisholm, James Heath-Ringrose, Conor Habecker, Alexis Walker) 3:27.18
24. Canton (Owens Perks, Augie Shaw, Dean Yost, James Yost) 8:27.60
8. Jacob Melvin, Simsbury, 12-6
24. Justin Reichler, Avon, 19-11½
18. Jake Sartain, Avon, 42-0½
2. Dan Hardiman, Farmington, 52-10
17. Devin Glasson, Canton, 47-5½
1. Dan Hardiman, Farmington, 161-02
12. John Graziano, Canton, 138-03
3. Greg Bombara, Simsbury, 184-8
21. Cam Daley, Canton, 154-6
10. Jada Jenkins, Simsbury, 12.61
5. Maddi McHugh, Avon, 2:14.85
4. Sarah Mattison, Simsbury, 4:56.86
8. Cynthia Jones, Granby, 5:08.28
2. Sarah Mattison, Simsbury, 10:45.92
18. Molly Hamel, Avon, 11:26.16
25. Eliza Chekas, Canton, 11:46.14
9. Vickie Milledge, Simsbury, 15.43
16. Lucy Tanner, Canton, 16:11
10. Ailene Berry, Lewis Mills, 46.82
14. Lucy Tanner, Canton, 47.19
1. Devon Michaelis, Farmington, 129-4
6. Emily Uhl, Granby, 119-4
5. Simsbury (Maggie Grigly, Rhyan Jadovich, Julia Dowd, Jada Jenkins) 49.70
24. Canton (Emily Mitchell, Amber Harraden, Alex Martin, Lucy Tanner) 51.60
20. Avon (Jennifer Koo, Carly Regalado, Tara Shayler, Maddi McHugh) 4:08.02
9. Simsbury (Sarah Mattison, Abigail Hotaling, Sarah Soja, Caroline Smith) 9:46.02
24. Canton (Emily Briggs, Eliza Chekas, Emily Jarka, Abby Briggs) 10:16.13
8. Riley Brayton, Simsbury, 10-0
21. Kaely Quijano, Avon, 9-6